Sunday, October 23, 2011

First Month

Hello everyone!  I probably won't post as often after this :)
Here is the URL for those who want to see it bigger. http://youtu.be/CCSDTShff0Q

Here is a video from my first month in Japan.  I can't tell you how often I want to pick up my video camera so that I can share my observations. I try to refrain a lot. 
Personally, I'm fine.  I'm a little lonely, but because I knew I would be, it kind of makes it easier.   I feel kind of like I just need to pay the due of the first six months so that I can really start enjoying being here. 
One of the worst parts is trying to figure out where on earth I am and how to get where I want to go.  Normally, I would just look for a map, but everything is in Japanese.  I learned two of the Japanese alphabets and they are pretty much useless, because there is so much Kanji in everything!  :)  I spend a lot of time, lost.  Nothing new though, at least I have a good excuse now. 
Two more months and one month down.  They say the first three months is really hard.  :)  I am still nervous a lot in my job, there are classes that I dread and get nervous for every time I teach.  I probably will always have classes that I don't love teaching, but I can't wait for the nerves to settle down.    The days are long.  Not just for me, but for my co-workers as well.  The stereotype that the Japanese work long hours is very true, according to what I have seen so far. They usually stay longer then I do at night because I like to plan at home where I can use my computer. During the week, I work from 8:30-10:30 in the morning until 11:30 or so at night when I go to sleep.  Thanks to the busy week schedule, I am actually able to enjoy my first weekend without the stress of planning. 
It is my goal to travel on the weekends.  I am trying to see as much of Japan as possible, while I'm without friends and plans.
I went to church today.  The service was great and I met a lot of great people.   They are all very friendly and helpful. 
Overall, I feel like I am exactly where I knew I would be at this point. It keeps me content even if things are hard.    I know myself well. :) 
Tune in next month for the Japanese Toilets.  lol. 

2 comments:

  1. I love you SOOOOOO OOOOOOO much. Thanks for posting the video :) I like new ones...and think you should not make less of them :( Why would you do that?!? Lol, I like to see what's going on! Miss you like crazy Seester and hope to talk to you soon! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO interesting Mandy! I love watching your videos. I feel like I'm right there with you, laughing, wondering etc. Keep up the posting; I really enjoy learning about Japan with you. The fire "pit" thing in your table was interesting. :) Have a great day today! Hello from America! Sending many hugs and well wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete