Monday, October 10, 2011

Apartment Video/Update

Here is my new apartment!  It is a little too long, but you can skip what you want. :) 
 hahaha! The freeze frame!  Here is the url for those who want to see it bigger. http://youtu.be/HheECRrwLf8
Japan
Here are the good things and bad things. This is my update since my first week. :)
Bad:
I can't do ANYTHING on my own!  I have to help with everything; banking, cell phones, internet, a tailor, shopping...you name it, I need help.  I have never had to ask for so much help in my life! I know it is actually very good for me, but it is a little hard on my independent woman's ego. 
I'm getting kind of sick of rice and fried...whatever.  There isn't much else out there for a quick lunch. 
I'm losing a lot of weight. I don't look unhealthy yet, but none of the 700 dollars I spent in suits and work clothes fit me.  I look like I'm wearing pajamas to work.  Unfortunately, this means that I will have to spend more money, either on clothes or a tailor. 
I'm struggling a bit with teaching the youngins (1-3 year olds).  Some of the classes are Mommy's and babies, and most of them are watching me carefully to see if I will do a good job. It is intimidating! :)  Especially when I'm replacing someone who was amazing at teaching.  I do much better with the older students.
I can't understand a word of Japanese. (I take that back, maybe I understand 50-100 words, which is useless).  This is frustrating because I know a lot more than this. 
I'm working probably 70 hours a week.  I expected this, so it isn't a surprise and only 55-60 is actually spent in the school, there is just a lot of planning to do.
Good: 
The best part is I'm not homesick yet. I still am really enjoying seeing new things and meeting new people.  I love finding similarities and differences between me and the people in this culture. 
I have an award winning bakery shop right around my corner. 
My co-workers and manager are amazing.  There are some things that are hard with working with people of another culture, but I couldn't be placed with nicer, helpful, or more understanding people. They go way out of their way to help me.  Including meeting up with me to go shopping on our day off so that I can find things I need!   They even found a Mexican Restaurant for me! 
I found Japanese lessons that are only around 3 dollars a class!  That is wonderful!
I also (thanks to a friend of Mindy's) found a church here. I have yet to try it though.
I'm losing a lot of weight. lol. 
Random bits of neither good nor bad:
My local phone number is 11 digits long!
I'm really scared I'm going to get sick. I really really don't want to wear one of the masks that all the sick people wear here.
I get stared at a lot.  For the most part it isn't blatant, just people who are curious. Some see me coming and quickly look the other way when I make eye contact, some just stare openly, and some look around nervously like they want to say something.

3 comments:

  1. WEAR the MASK!!! If you feel the sickness coming or if Japan gets hit with China's pollution like Korea does in the fall - WEAR THE MASK! Seriously!

    Happy to read about your adventures and giggling about the similarities. 1-3 year olds, though - holy, Baloney! And 70-80 hours?!? Wowzer! Hope it slows down/begins to feel more managable.

    Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to actually SEE where you are living!! LOVES YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved loved loved your video about your apt. I really laughed hard about the shower cause I would have done the same thing. Also laughed out loud about the little video of the man downstairs waving your mail to tell you he wasn't gonna murder you. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. One to 3 year olds in my opinion are the toughest age out there(even without the language barrier). They don't make any sense and each day is a new trial and error. Peek a boo, ring around the rosie, and making funny noises seems to work the best for me. For the rest I just "ride the wave of insanity".. LOL! haha. well know that I'm thinking of you lots and praying for just a continued amazing adventure! with love, Karalyn

    ReplyDelete